NoiseTrade Widget

Monday, December 20, 2010

Come Thou Long Expected Jesus

I must confess that I have never really worshiped through a Christmas song before. I have sung hundreds, maybe more, with pipe organs and orchestras, amps and guitars, on front steps and by candlelight, but never out of much more than a heart of sentimental tradition. But Christ died to make all things new, and this year as I have been anticipating the coming of a babe in a manger, He is making me new.

As I've been singing, my heart as been wrenched that Christ was "Born to set (His) people free" and that He came to release us from our fears and sins. (Come Thou Long Expected Jesus)

As I've been singing, I have been in awe of the One who came to "free (His) own from satan's tyranny", and who saves people from depths of hell, and gives them victory over the grave. (O Come, O Come Emmanuel)

As I've sung I have wept at the gospel proclaimed: "Mild He lays His glory by, born that man no more may die. Born to raise the sons of earth, born to give them second birth." (Hark! The Herald Angels Sing)

And through awe and tears, the songs of Advent and Christmas have been made new to me. That baby in a manger that the angels sang about and the shepherds praised, that baby was the Son of God - becoming like His brothers in every way so that He could become a merciful and faithful high priest in service to God, to make propitiation for my sin! (Hebrews 2:17)

The baby in a manger was fully God and fully man. He came to be the great high priest. He came to that manger on the way to a cross where His blood was spilled and He tasted my death, crowned with glory and honor. And there, He ransomed me from the grip of sin, and from the depths of hell. He made purification for my sin, rose from the grave, and He sat down at the right hand of the Father.

And so I can sing these songs and pour out my joy, my thanksgiving, my adoration. I can sing of the Incarnation and long for the day that I will meet Him face-to-face. Oh what a journey that births new songs of hope in Christ! The salt of tears that mingle with laughter's echo as heartbeats go by awakens a sense of longing for home. Do you sense it?

Gloria in excelsis Deo!

No comments: