NoiseTrade Widget

Thursday, December 06, 2007

Refining Perspective



Do you ever find that your perspective shifts? Or, maybe "broadens" might be a better word. I can't even put into words all of the ways in which I feel my perspective shifting. For this post, I'll talk about 3 which are very real right at this moment.

1) Christmas "stuff". This year I'm really struggling with all of the "stuff" of Christmas, more than ever before. I'm challenged every time people talk to me about what they want for Christmas; I'm challenged every time I hear what people are buying my kids for Christmas. I'm challenged every time I'm asked what I want for Christmas. There's too much stuff. We have too much stuff. We've made Christmas all about stuff. I want to give, not receive, this Christmas. But, at the same time, people want to give to me, and so I must receive. How do we do this in celebration of the Christ Child's birth, but not get sucked in to the materialistic mindset of our fat culture? One thing we've done: when we've been asked what we want, we've voiced only needs, not wants...gas cards and grocery cards. And I'm praying that the Lord would help to strip me of any desires that are beyond what I really need, that I might be more others-focused, and not self-focused.

2) Life is here and now. As our family and church family mourn the recent death of a wonderful young man and friend, I have been made so much more aware of the importance of living life here and now, not assuming that I'll have time for it in the future. This perspective encompasses so many things: my relationship with the Lord, my relationship with my husband, my kids, my friends, the urgency of developing disciples and sharing the gospel. The time is now.

3) "Pure and undefiled religion in the sight of our God and Father is this: to visit orphans and widows in their distress, and to keep oneself unstained by the world." The Lord been laying this one heavy on our hearts for the last few months...so much so that I wondered if He was getting us ready for something. And now, in my immediate circle, I have a young widow to be Christ to, and some who I recognize are "orphans" for whom the Lord has burdened my heart to be ready to minister to in any way He directs. And so, I am in awe that offerings which require sacrifice and are filled with heart-ache are still pure and undefiled religion; That worship which costs me is truer worship than that which feels good.

Perspective shifts. Some I'm immediately happy about, some hurt and cost. But all are part of the Refiner's fire. For that, I'm so grateful.

5 comments:

Kelly said...

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. They've really made me think. :)

Owen said...

I loved you post Elizabeth. You and Natasha give me some great refreshment from the desert that I'm in at the moment.

I've really felt my perspective change a lot in the last year. I think a lot if it's because I'm not longer a college student, and I'm living in this city which is fast and impersonal and dosn't seem to enjoy life in the same way. To many lawyers and lobbyists I suppose. I don't really fell like I'm gaining perspective though, just loosing the perspective I used to hold. Did you ever feel like that?

I'll stop whinning in your blog now- I'll mull your comments around and maybe come back with more comments.

Sarah Gomez said...

Jer and I have been talking alot this Christmas season about how different this time of year would be if people REALLY understood what Christmas is all about. GOD giving up *everything* to become man among us. GOD, taking on the body of man, along with all its suffering, hurt, pain, and yes, love, all for you and I. GOD allowing his Son to DIE (you can't go to the manger without eventually making your way to the cross) for a lost and fallen world.

Yes, how different WOULD Christmas be if we forgot about what we want. About whether or not there will be snow. About having the best decorated house on the street. About buying the perfect gift to outd0 even last years perfect gift.

What if our attitudes really did reflect that of Jesus? Now that would be Christmas

Shelly Marie Condon said...

I am inspired and challanged by your thoughts...I too am finding the Christmas 'stuff' a bit overwhelming this year... You have an wonderful way of putting your heart into words and I so appreciate your sharing ... I would love to have a one on one sit down with you sometime and talk and pray about some stuff...
God Bless
Shelly

Heather said...

You inspired Rob to suggest that we make presents for each other rather than spend money on things we really don't need. Thanks for helping us put our focus where it belongs.