NoiseTrade Widget

Saturday, November 19, 2011

Thanksgiving and Advent

I celebrated Thanksgiving in Canada in October. Next week I will celebrate Thanksgiving in the United States. I am glad for this double opportunity because I have so much to be thankful for!

I have been thinking a lot about how American Thanksgiving immediately precedes Advent, and I LOVE that! Thanksgiving is all about thanking the Lord for who He is and what He has done. Wow - where do I begin? But, sometimes I find that I can easily get stuck at the thanks for what has been done, and forget the needs I still have...

Advent is all about looking for Messiah. Needing Emmanuel. Waiting for Christ to break into the here and now as well as looking forward to His return. Advent recognizes need.

I am nothing apart from Emmanuel. So this Thanksgiving I will worship and look to Advent. I will celebrate both what I have already in Christ and look ahead for who I need Him to be with me.

I am nothing apart from Messiah.

1 comment:

KLT said...

I LOVE Advent for its amazing re-orienting focus. It is such a gift to the Church! Thanks for sharing your thoughts...