NoiseTrade Widget

Tuesday, August 28, 2007

First Day of School




Well, it has happened. 7 sleeps have passed, much too quickly.

This morning saw the hustle and bustle of two eager boy beavers excitedly getting ready and waiting for their bus. Lots of chattering, lots of giggles, lots of "WHEN is the bus going to get here??!!" A family huddle and prayer followed by the Family Cheer led us out to the driveway to wait for the bus. The boys happily boarded, each to be dropped off at a different school, both excited that they found out chicken burgers were the order of the day today in both cafeterias.

And then the waiting began...you see, Grace's first semester of Pre-K has her in the afternoon session, which means there's a LONG wait after the boys go before she gets to go. So we waited...we played the piano, we checked the lunch bag and bookbag each about 14 times, I gave her a multi-colored-first-day-of-school-ever manicure and pedicure, and she got dressed in a favorite dress and new pair of school shoes. We had lunch, and she asked about 78 times when the bus was going to arrive. I also got some very specific instructions from my Pre-K girl: "When the bus comes, you and Daddy don't have to cry because I'm just going to be right back. OK?"

I told her if I didn't cry, then she couldn't cry, and we struck a bargain.

We waited on the front step for almost 45 minutes with backpack in place on shoulders that appear too small for a backpack. We found a ladybug. Then Daddy arrived, we celebrated, and waited some more.

And then we saw it: a yellow bus...coming in the direction of our house. We had camera ready, and Mommy and Grace walked to the end of the driveway. Daddy caught it on video. Then my little girl....my baby girl...calmly climbed aboard the foreign vehicle, walked back about 4 rows and promptly sat down next to a child she's never met. I saw her little hand shoot in the air forming the "I love you" sign...and she was gone.

It was very fast. Scott and I looked at each other and chuckled in amazement. And I kept up my end of the bargain...mostly.

For more pictures see our Photo Blog

9 comments:

Lori's Latest said...

Wow! I can't believe how big your kids are. They are still as cute as ever, though.

Mommy Rader said...

Okay....so I'm totally tearing up!
Family prayer-how awesome! And...what's this family cheer??? Do tell...r

Unknown said...

How did you NOT cry?? I'm starting to just reading about it!
Esp. when she shot her hand up with the 'I love you' sign! I would have been a blubbering mess right then and there on the sidewalk!

I'm going to check out more pics....

Elizabeth said...

You know the "Go team!" thing when everyone puts their hands in the middle...? We just do "Rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrhyno Family!" We've done that since they were all really little (hence the simlicity), but they love it. (There's variations, of course....Rrrrrrrrrrrhyno Girls! or Rrrrrrrrrrrrhyno boys!" depending on who's around lol)

We make it a point to pray over the kids everyday before they go to school...for protection, and that the Lord would daily rise up our kids as Godly leaders amongst their peers, and that our kids would trust Him in all situations at school or on the bus, and that God's nature would be in our kids' character. As a parent, sending them out into the "big bad world", we HAVE to rely on the Lord and power of prayer. Our kids are also getting older and at the point of making decisions to draw them nearer to or away from the Lord. We need to do everything we possibly can to continue to guide them in the right way.

Kristi...yes the "I love you" was priceless. But I was more amazed than anything at how easliy and confidently she boarded that bus!!

All in all...an excellent first day of school.

Sarah G said...

that is an absolutely beautiful story :) And those are three absolutely beautiful (and excited!) kids! I can't imagine waiting like 4 hours after my brothers went to school to go for MY first day (if I were Grace.) What did she have to say about school when she got home?

Sarah Gomez said...

oops - that was me. I was signed in with the wrong name

Nata said...

Adorable :)

Angela said...

Beautifully written. What a special moment. Grace is so beautiful and she looks SO excited in that picture! Too sweet!

Sarah Beth said...

What a great story! Glad to hear that things are going well in your family.